CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Semester So Far

So I realized I haven't updated this since the end of last semester, after culture night.

Winter break went really well. I saw a friend just about every day. It was nice :)

This semester has honestly been probably the best one yet. I like all of my classes. I was afraid of American Foundations at first though, because the teacher was really scary and intimidating on the first day, but he seems a lot nicer now. I'm also taking Chinese 201, which is a really heavy workload, but I'm enjoying it, and I LOVE the teacher (Brother Paul). Pretty much all my friends from 102 are in my same class, so we all sit together. Today after Chinese stadium singing, my friend Lauren was talking to a girl in 101 who was having problems learning Chinese, and Lauren was comforting her saying that Chinese is really hard and everyone has a hard time learning it. I approached them to see what they were talking about, and Lauren reached back and pointed at me and said "except for Kayli. She's a freaking Chinese prodigy." Haha, Lauren always teases me about being able to pick up Chinese so fast. I try my best to help her too though. We've decided to form a study group with a few other people in the class too, and we'll try to meet once a week.
I'm also taking Social Dance. I was really nervous about it at first, because I'm really not a good dancer. We started easy and then added more steps. We just finished a basic foxtrot and we're moving on to swing next week. The class has forced me to be more social, and I now know by name all of the boys in the class.
Badminton is fun. I'm glad I'm retaking it, because now I have a slight advantage over some people who are taking it for the first time. My doubles partner, Mindi, has been in my ward for a few semesters.
Interpersonal Communications hasn't really taken off much yet. But I really like my teacher, and it sounds like it'll be a fun class.

Kelsey is back this semester, but she's living in American Manor. We hang out together a few times a week. Usually we invite Ray and Lee too. So the four of us have gotten pretty close.
On Saturday we went to Idaho Falls to see the Green Hornet. I mostly wanted to see it because a Taiwanese singer/actor I really like played the role of Kato. It was a really good movie, I really enjoyed it! Afterward we went to Kelsey's and we played telephone pictionary and then we went to my apartment and had pizza. Alicia sent me a text asking if I wanted to come over and watch a movie with her and some friends. I asked Kelsey and Ray and Lee to come with me, but once we got there, Kelsey was feeling too anxious so she dropped us off and she went home. Me and Ray and Lee went in, and they were playing cranium in teams of three. So the three of us were a team and we joined in. It was a lot of fun! After the game we started watching the A-Team, but it was getting close to curfew so we left.

The day before, Kelsey and I had decided to go to lunch together at YinYang (the restaurant is actually spelled "Ying Yang", but that really bugs me so I refuse to spell it that way). The day before, she had told me to text her when I got out of class at 11:15. So I got out of class and texted her. And then twenty minutes went by so I texted her again. And then twenty more minutes went by so I called her but she didn't answer. After repeated attempts to get ahold of her, I decided I would just walk over to her apartment to see if she was home. But right before I left (at around 1:30), she called me saying she had just woken up. YinYang is only open until 2, and then it opens again at 5. So we decided to change our plans to dinner. So I went over to her apartment and we watched the Bourne Ultimatum (over the course of the week we had been watching the trilogy) until it was time for dinner.

The first weekend of school, Julia drove up from Utah and staid two nights with Kelsey. So I was at Kelsey's apartment during most of those days. It was really fun to be with both of them. Ray and Lee came over once or twice too.

FHE last week was really good. I'm really excited about our group. All of the guys are cute, and the girls are fun. One of the guys served his mission in Taiwan, so he speaks Chinese. So after our activity, he came over and talked to me and we talked about Chinese and stuff. Before the study abroad to Beijing I'm hoping to go on was set up as an entire semester program, they had a program where they would study for a month (at the same University). He went on that and said it was really good. His name is David. I tend to have a thing for Davids.

I can't really think of much else to say. I haven't taken any pictures, so I can't put any up... I used to take pictures of everything, but now I keep forgetting to.

3 comments:

Winger said...

I commented on this, but for some reason it never showed up on your post. So, I'll comment again.
Yay Kayli for updating you blog--thank you! So glad that you are having a good semester. Keep it up!

Ashly Eyler said...

Wow! You certainly are a busy little bee aren't you?! I had no idea that BYU had classes like dancing and badminton; interesting.

It sounds like you're having a fun time with your college experience - enjoy every minute of it! Before you get out into the working world/"real life"... what with a family, responsibilities, and all that "fun" stuff :) LOL!

I'm super proud to hear that you're a Chinese expert! I only know a bit of Japanese, no Chinese for me :)

Have fun!!!! :)

Ryan said...

Yay for social dance! and yay for David.